Friday, August 30, 2013

Yearly Technique: Mittens

Every year (mostly during the fall/winter months) I attempt a new technique in knitting -in the past I have learned to knit cables, sweaters, hats, etc.. Since I am on Mat Leave and I already decided what I wanted to try, I started a bit early. So, I decided that knitting mittens was the new skill I wanted to try. So, I went to the knitting store and the local Bible Mission store to get my supplies and I started. I bought double pointed needles in size 3.5 mm and 3.75mm and some inexpensive yarn -Bernat Super Saver.

In order to learn how to use double pointed needles, I looked up some youtube videos and off I went. I also looked at the video that was with the pattern. The videos help a ton as I am a visual learner.
It took me a couple attempts to figure out our to use the dpns, but I got it quicker than I thought. I am almost done my first mitt and have already offered to knit my sisters a pair each. I am currently knitting the women's size.

Here is the pattern: http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/mittens-all
Since I was not able to find the red heart yarn suggested, I used the Bernat Supersaver.
Needles: 3.5mm and 3.75mm


No comments:

Post a Comment